Pages

Monday 4 September 2017

What Is The Difference

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Date: 4 o Taperewai 2017, 4 of September 2017
By: Tumanako, Shilaine, Huri, AJ, Anthony.
Questions?
Tangihanga
Kawemate
Why?
The tangihanga is the enduring Maori ceremony to mourn the dead. The body lies on a marae and people come to pay their respects.
A kawemate is a process in Te Ao Maori to assist those that couldn't make it to the funeral to all come together, to grieve and to talk with others attempting to make sense of our tragic loss.
When?
The tangihanga was held two weeks ago.
Sat 19 August (passed away)
Marae: Te Hurihi, Awarua. The whole school - Monday 21 August, Wednesday 23 funeral in Whangarei (staff)
The kawemate was held today school library today.
How? How did you feel?
         Very sad      
Very careful
      

Shilaine: My understanding through a kawemate was interesting for me because I didn't know what we were doing until nana Winnie explained how it's going to be done .

Huri: My experience through the kawemate was funny when Matua Ropata stood up and said his mihi. The end of his waiata was funny.

Tumanako: My experience through a kawemate was quite different for me, because I’ve never experienced one before. If I am ever in a marae and its a kawemate I will be sure to respect everyone in every way possible. I had a bad feeling when I heard that she had died, I didn’t believe anyone at first until Waihemonga told me. I was devastated and thought everyone was just making a joke but they weren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.